Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Only One Thing


In
today's Gospel reading (Luke 10:38-42), Jesus tells Martha:
Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.
We all know the situation: Jesus comes into town and Martha welcomes Him into her home and starts preparing to serve Him, while her sister, Mary, sits at His feet. Marth gets upset because she's doing all the work to get things ready while Mary just sits with Jesus. Jesus assures her that what Mary is doing (being with Jesus) is much more important than what Martha was doing (worrying about getting everything done). Getting things done has its place, mind you, but if you had Jesus in your house for a short visit, would it be better to spend time with Him, or leave Him in the living room while you make some food?

This got me thinking . . . Jesus is with me for such a short while every day "under my roof." Every day, I have Him right inside my body after receiving Holy Communion at Mass, yet so often my mind, instead of focussing on spending time with my Lord, Who is in my stomach, trails off on thoughts of what needs to get done that day or other worries I have. How sad! I can just hear Jesus lovingly calling me to a better union with Him: "Casey, Casey, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Focusing on Me is the better part, and it will not be taken away from you. If you remain faithful to Me, you will be with Me forever."

Trying to focus more on Jesus and less on my worries,
- Casey

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I know I will be thinking of this when we go to Mass tomorrow. Thanks, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gospel challenged me immensely yesterday. I visited a new parishioner who is homebound. I normally let the first visit go as long as needed, sometimes 1-2 hours to get to know the person and vice versa. I arrived to his house so focused on my trip and last-minute prep that my goals were get in and get out. Before the Eucharist, I always read the gospel from my Magnificat. My stomach dropped, as I knew God was speaking to me. After prayer/communion, I paused. The guy didn't seem very talkative and, I think, would've been fine if I'd left right then. Instead, I asked about him. His life, his career, the photos of family, and got to know him a bit. As he opened up, I learned he was new to the south side, can't drive, has no family nearby, and wants to join and get involved at CTK. We started discussing his needs and desires. I explained I would need a day or two after my trip to start arranging volunteers. How glad I was to sit and be a Mary for a change, so I could help ensure I'm bringing christ as well as the parish to him. Praise God for that gospel falling when I needed it most!

    ReplyDelete

Catholic Ads

Pages